The Dwight D. Eisenhower Locomotive & Command Cars
Fredrick J. Lenfestey Center
The National Railroad Museum is proud to have the only A4 Class locomotive in the United States. This British locomotive was renamed for Dwight D. Eisenhower after World War II. Along with this engine are two London and North Eastern Railroad cars that were converted for Eisenhower’s use during the war.
The Dwight D. Eisenhower locomotive arrived at the museum on Memorial Day in 1964. Dwight D. Eisenhower himself visited the museum in September of that year. Most recently, the locomotive made international news when the National Railroad Museum loaned the piece to the National Railway Museum of York, England for “The Great Gathering” of 2013. As part of the loan agreement, the National Railway Museum performed a cosmetic restoration of the Dwight D. Eisenhower locomotive. The locomotive returned to the National Railroad Museum®in June 2014.
The National Railroad Museum® has completed restoration work on the London and Northeastern Railroad cars #1591 and #1592. These two passenger cars were converted for use on the two trains that were assigned to Eisenhower while in England. The #1591 was restored to look as it did post-war when it was donated to the museum. The #1592 is now complete with armor plating and it looks as it did during the war.