Dwight D. Eisenhower
The National Railroad Museum is proud to have the only A4 Class locomotive in the United States. This British locomotive was renamed for General Dwight D. Eisenhower after World War II. Along with this engine are two London and North Eastern Railroad cars that were converted for Eisenhower’s use during the war – all three are now housed in the Museum’s Lenfestey Center.
The Dwight D. Eisenhower locomotive arrived at the National Railroad Museum on Memorial Day in 1964. Dwight D. Eisenhower himself visited the museum in September of that year. The locomotive also made international news a few years ago when the National Railroad Museum loaned the piece to the National Railway Museum of York, England in 2012 for “The Great Gathering” of 2013. As part of the loan agreement, the National Railway Museum performed a cosmetic restoration of the locomotive. The locomotive returned to the National Railroad Museum in June 2014.
The National Railroad Museum also completed restoration work on London and North Eastern cars #1591 and #1592. These two passenger cars were converted for use on the two trains assigned to Eisenhower while in England, one of which was used as Eisenhower’s personal quarters and meeting space for his staff. The #1591 was restored to look as it did post-war when it was donated to the Museum. The #1592 is now complete with armor plating and it looks as it did during the war.